The CSA takes care of the respect of the pluralist expression of the currents of thought and opinion in the services of television, in particular in the political and general data transmission. For this reason, it adopted several decisions intended to guarantee the effectiveness of political pluralism on the various antennas.
Since 2009, the Council applies the “ principle of political pluralism ” under the terms of which several rules are fixed.
It is a question of taking care that volumes of the political speaking time correspond to national democratic balances by integrating those of the interventions of the President of the Republic which, because of their contents and their context, concern the national political debate.
By a deliberation of the applicable November 22nd, 2017 starting from January 1st, 2018 , the CSA wished to modify the existing rules in order to modernize the taking into account of the interventions of the political personalities, in particular while freeing himself from the concepts of majority and opposition and by ensuring a better equity between the political formations.
A method modified in July 2009
A long time, the rule of the three thirds (modified in 2000 then in 2006) made it possible the Council to make sure of the balanced representation of the parliamentary majority, the Government and the parliamentary opposition while taking care that the parties not represented at the Parliament and political trainings not raising neither of the majority, nor from the parliamentary opposition profit from an equitable access to the antenna.
In 2009, the Council of State asked the Council to take into account the interventions of the President of the Republic which, because of their contents and their context, concern the national political debate (for the Head of the State, the analysis of the speaking times is thus also qualitative).
A new method intended to ensure the respect of the principle of political pluralism was adopted on July 21st, 2009.
The deliberation of the CSA of July 21st, 2009 relating to the political principle of pluralism
Time corresponding to an intervention of the President of the Republic which concerns the political debate is added at the time of intervention of the other political personalities composing the “ majority block ” (members of the Government, representatives of the parliamentary majority and collaborators of the President).
The rule installation in 2009 also provides that the parliamentary opposition profits from at least half of this cumulated time. In addition, the CSA remains attached so that the parties not represented at the Parliament as well as the parliamentary formations not raising neither of the majority nor of the opposition continue to profit from an equitable access to the antenna.
Evolution envisaged starting from January 2018
At the conclusion of the reflection engaged after the elections of 2017, the CSA adopted new rules with the aim of lead to a calculation of the time speaking more coherent and simpler.
Starting from January 1st, 2018 , will apply the following methods:
- the executive power is seen to hold an access to the antenna corresponding to the third of the total time of intervention, in accordance with the use. In this speaking time, the interventions will be deducted:
- of the President of the Republic, which because of their contents and their context, concerns the national political debate, pursuant to the Council Decision of State of April 8th, 2009;
- collaborators of the President of the Republic ;
- members of the Government.
- the rest of the total time of intervention is distributed according to the principle of equity between the parties and political movements which express the main trends of the national political life. The representativeness of these formations will be appreciated according to a series of criteria in particular including the results of the elections, the number and the categories of elected officials, the importance of the parliamentary groups or the indications of opinion polls. The contribution of political trainings tothe animation of the political debate will be also taken into account.
The follow-up of the respect of pluralism by the CSA evolves in parallel:
- the appreciation of the CSA will take from now on account of the whole of the programme of each service of radio or television, as in election time;
- the statement of the speaking times will intervene at the end of each quarter of the calendar year by taking of account the cycles of programming of the emissions, in particular the emissions being the object of monthly programming.
Lastly, he will be taken account, if necessary, of possible exceptional situations related to the news making it possible to the CSA to modulate his appreciation.
These new rules will replace the provisions of the deliberation of July 21st, 2009 starting from January 1st, 2018 .
The deliberation of the CSA of November 22nd, 2017 relating to the political principle of pluralism
A technical collaboration with the editors of services
For the chains of continuous information (I-TV, LCI, BFM TV and franceinfo:) and the editors mentioned in the deliberation of April 23rd, 2013 relating to the methods of the statement and the transmission of times of intervention of the political personalities, it is planned that they raise the speaking times of the political personalities questioned on their antennas and declare obligatorily each month these figures with the Council. A control of the exactitude of information can be carried out a posteriori by a team of observers of the Council using computer tools.
The Council examines the respect of political pluralism over one sufficiently long period to smooth the effects of the news. Control is carried out each quarter for the newspapers and news bulletins and each six-month period for the magazines and the other emissions of the programs.
Consult the statements of times of intervention of the political personalities except electoral campaigns
Pluralism except election time with the radio